Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Are there clinical trials experimenting the efficacy of new anti-reactions drugs?

Leprosy Mailing List, January 10th, 2009

Ref.: Are there clinical trials experimenting the efficacy of new anti-reactions drugs?
From: Ogbeiwi O. J. I., Wakefield, United Kingdom


Dear Dr. Noto,

I wish to agree with Dr. Wim Theuvenet (LML Dec. 30th, 2008) about the need for new effective drugs for treatment of reactions in leprosy, judging from the frustrations and complications experienced from steroid therapy in leprosy hospitals around the world, particularly in Africa where I am more knowledgeable. I think we need a proper study and documentation of the magnitude of the post-steroid therapeutic failures and complications in a more evidenced based manner though.

I am aware of some leprosy reaction related studies going on in some locations. I lack the details of these studies however. But are there clinical trials experimenting the efficacy of new anti-reactions drugs and tools? If yes, can we be privileged to know what progress is being made in this very important area of leprosy management?

I wish all LML subscribers a very happy new year in 2009.

Dr. Osahon Jeremie I. Ogbeiwi,
Programme Management Consultant
Jeremie Programme Management Services (UK)

No comments: